Saturday, March 29, 2014

I always have considered myself and Evangelical Christian.   Now, I am really, really doubting that.

This week, yet again, there has been a big debate, or controversy over the attitude of the Church in America.

Why?   A group, World Vision, which supports needy children around the world announced that they would hire Gay and Lesbians.   The right Evangelical Church went crazy in condemnation causing thousands of children to lose their sponsors.  It is absolutely heartbreaking and beyond my comprehension.  Whatever, the argument is on that lifestyle what is total incontrovertible is the truth that as Christians we are supposed to love everyone, take care of Children, not judge, be kind etc...   The teaching of Jesus is clear in all this.   I think a reading of the fruits of The Spirit Galatians shows characteristics Christians should have.  What the Evangelical Church showed this week was the antithesis of Paul's teaching.

The definition should be Bible, Christ believing, following Christ's example.   Around the rest of the world this is more the case.  Here in the US it has morphed to a right-wing, political fundamentalism that is unrecognizable from the teaching of Christ.   The sad thing is this is the representation that non-believers in this Country and the world see.   The Bible teaches that those that cause those to leave Christ should will be thrown into Hell and yet these are the ones condemning everyone else.

I don't like labels at all.   That's why I will never say I am a Democrat or Republican for example, but, I've always been proud to say that I am a Bible believing Evangelical Christian.  Now I am embarrassed to use that label.   Now, all I will say I am follower of Jesus Christ, His example of peace, acceptance, forgiveness and love.

-Richard

No comments:

Post a Comment