Sunday, March 2, 2014

The Wedding

I arrived at the church
A few moments to spare
A crowd already gathered
With a mounting excitement in the air.
The grooms all alone hoping not be left in the lurch.

As the moments tick by
The brides late again.
I’m feeling restless, read the order twice
And starting to think about the bloody rain!
Suddenly a commotion.  “She’s here” they cry.

All the heads turn in unison
To see the glory of the bride
Shining with radiance and beauty
By her side her father swelling with pride.
He’s lost a daughter, but, gained a son.

At last it’s all over, legally wed
As I sit there waiting, the organ grinding away,
A friend turns to me and says with a smile
“Just you wait it’ll be you one day!”
“I doubt it.” I said.

Outside the church the cameras are flashing
Picture after picture so that everyone’s taken.
By now it’s raining again and is very cold
And I’m so hungry that my belly is aching’
I’m definitely not going through this kind of thing.

On to the reception I go.
I’ve never seen such a posh gaff
And to be welcomed as “Sir”
By a poker faced usher I had to laugh
And say “You only reap what you sow!”

There’s so many people milling us around
All seemingly some distant relative or friend.
I don’t want to drink, don’t want to talk:
I just want to eat, will this waiting ever end?
Anyway the toilets much be found.

Sitting down with food at last
An aroma so nice and pleasing to the eye
But, it’s been so long I can only look
A say to my companion with a wry
Smile “Don’t mind me, I’m on a fast.”

The speeches start, some in prose, some in poesy.
I think again “I’m never going through this”.
As the toasts go on I can only think
Of my fear of speeches.  Yes I’ll definitely give it a miss.
“Raise your glasses to the couple, for a future so rosy!”

Three years later and all alone
At the front of a church stomach all churning
So, what I said on that date above,
I look down the aisle, my bride now coming
And suddenly my stomach begins to groan!





23rd March 1994, London, England.


-Richard

No comments:

Post a Comment